Parents & Students
Silas Deane Middle School educates approximately 600 seventh and eighth graders in a suburban setting south of Hartford. In 1991 Silas Deane Middle School was recognized as "A School of Excellence" by the Department of Education in Washington, D.C.
The Middle School has a comprehensive after school activities program called "Crossroads," sponsored by the town. Crossroads offers activities such as jewelry making, babysitter training, bicycle maintenance, rocketry, photography and computer study.
The Middle School has an active Parent Action Committee (P.A.C.) that contributes to the school by organizing fundraisers, student dances, parent programs and student-parent togetherness activities.
SDMS Program Guide | After School Activities
- Art Club
- Chamber Orchestra
- Fitness Club
- Jazz Band
- Robotics Club
- Running Club
- Student Council
- Technology Club
Response to Bullying
In accordance with state law, it is the policy of the Wethersfield Board of Education that any form of bullying, whether in the classroom, on school property or at school-sponsored events is expressly forbidden.
To implement this policy, the Board of Education directs the Superintendent to develop and adopt regulations no later than February 1, 2003 to address the existence of bullying in the schools. As provided by statute, such regulations shall:
- Enable students to anonymously report acts of bullying to teachers and school administrators.
- Enable the parents or guardians of students to file written reports of suspected bullying.
- Require teachers and other school staff who witness acts of bullying to notify school administrators
- Require school administrators to investigate any written reports filed and to review anonymous reports.
- Include an intervention strategy for school staff to deal with bullying.
- Provide for the inclusion of language in school codes of conduct concerning bullying.
- Require school administrators to notify both the parents or guardians of students who commit any verified acts of bullying and the parents or guardians of students against whom such acts were directed.
- Require each school within the district to maintain a list of the number of verified acts of bullying in such schools and make such list available for public inspection. The notification shall include a description of the response of school staff to such acts and any consequences that may result from the commission of further acts of bullying.
“Bullying” shall mean any overt acts by a student or group of students directed against another student with the intent to ridicule, humiliate or intimidate the other student while on school or school-sponsored activity, which acts are repeated against the same student over time.
“School-Sponsored Activity” shall mean any activity conducted on or off school property (including school buses and other school-related vehicles) that is sponsored, recognized or authorized by the Wethersfield Board of Education.
Bullying Referral Process
- Referrals will be made available in each classroom and in the main office.
- New passes to see any administrator, guidance staff, social worker or psychologist are also available in the main office.
- Complete referral or pass and submit to the main office.
- You do not need to put your name on the pass or referral.
- Complete referral and submit to the main office.
- Review all referrals and passes completed.
- Address bullying situations.
- Contact parents of both the victim(s) and aggressor(s).
- Update staff on bullying issue.
Recycle for Education
Hey Parents! Turn your empty ink and toner cartridges into cash for our school.
Good news. Our school is participating in Staples Recycle for Education, a great way to raise money for our school and help the environment, too.
Staples will pay our school $3.00 for each eligible cartridge.
It's Staples way of helping our school - and the earth. And it adds up fast!
How your family can help: Just send your empty inkjet or toner cartridges to school with your child. Please send laser cartridges in a box - just use the one from your new cartridge! It's that easy.
HEWLETT PACKARD: 14 Black , 14 Color, 15, 17, 20, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 45, 49, 56, 57, 58, 59, 78, 94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 100
LEXMARK: 1, 16, 17, 20, 26, 27, 32, 33, 34, 50, 60, 70, 71, 80, 82, 83
CANON: BC-02, BC-05, BC-20 , BX-3
XEROX: 8R7880, 8R7881
HEWLETT PACKARD: (A and X versions are acceptable for all models)
03, 06, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 27, 29, 38, 39, 42, 43, 45, 49, 61, 74, 82, 92, 96
CANON: D320/D340, E16, E31, E40, FX3, FX5, FX6, FX8
PITNEY BOWES: All
SHARP: FO45, FO47, FO50