Meet our team!
Supervisor for Special Services
PreK3 and PreK4 Teacher
Speech/ Language Pathologist
Speech/ Language Pathologist
The Wethersfield Developmental Early Intervention Program offers a positive and stimulating environment, which fosters children’s creative and intellectual abilities appropriate for their own developmental stages. The goal is to create a nurturing first time school experience which builds self-esteem and independence for future learning. Classrooms are set up with a hands-on approach that supports the childrens' curiosity of the world around them. Through differentiated instruction as well as self-directed activities, children are encouraged to engage in a variety of experiences that help them ask questions, make choices, and solve problems. The objectives of the program strive to advance children’s growth in the areas of personal-social, communicative, cognitive, self-help, and motor skills.
The Developmental Early Intervention Team believes in educating every child to reach his/her fullest potential. The students leave the preschool program with a solid foundation on which to build as they enter the next step in their educational career.
Our Preschool is an integrated preschool program that includes children with and without special needs aging from 3 to 5 years. All children must reside within the Wethersfield Public Schoold District. Children gain entrance into the preschool program through one of two methods:
1) typical peer models are selected through a lottery process (see below for more information)
2) students with special needs that are found eligible through the PPT process. For further information please refer to the Wethersfield Public Schools' Preschool Manual.
Do you have a 3-5 year old?
During school closure, our screening process may look different, but our commitment to our community has not changed. Screenings are still available during closure. Parents or guardians who have a concern about their child's development and/or would like their child screened should contact the Special Services Department 860-571-8137 or email Nadine Charette at email@example.com. Our team will be able to share with families our change in process to assure everyone’s safety during closure and through the health pandemic. Preschool screenings are typically held the first Friday of every month, but will now be made by appointment. All screenings are FREE to all Wethersfield residents.
Peer Playmate/Lottery Process
Families of children who do not require special education services that would like their child to attend the Wethersfield Public School Preschool program as a peer playmate must enter a lottery. This lottery is held in the spring prior to the upcoming school year. Typically, 18 peer playmates will be selected to participate in the prek 3 program. Once a child is accepted into the program, he/she do not have to reenter the lottery for the following school year for the prek 4 program. A prek 4 lottery will only be held if openings are available for the upcoming school year.
Please do not register your student unless you have been notified that your child has been accepted into the program.
- Information on becoming a Peer Playmate is publicized on the district website and in local newspapers in December/January.
- Children must turn 3 by October 1st of the upcoming school year in order to apply to participate in the lottery.
- Families who would like their child to be considered for the peer playmate program need to complete an application by specified deadline. Families should call to get an application from the pupil services office (860-571-8141) or by clicking here.
- Families that submit the completed application will be invited to bring their child to a peer playmate screening. Observational information will be gathered during a 30-45 minute screening. Focus areas during this screening include: personal social, communication, cognitive and motor skills.
- Students who demonstrate age appropriate skills in the above stated areas will be placed into the second phase of the lottery. This will consist of blind selection of student names. Children not selected will be placed on a waiting list. Please note that peer playmates must be toilet trained prior to start of school.
There is an annual tuition of $1050 for children who attend the Wethersfield Preschool Program as a peer playmate. The tuition is broken down into two equal payments of $525. The first payment is due at the time of registration. Students accepted into the program must be registered by May 1st of the acceptance year. The 2nd payment is due August 1st.