As we look ahead to the 2019-2020 school year, the Wethersfield Public Schools are excited to continue to support our 1-to-1 Chromebook initiative at Silas Deane Middle School and Wethersfield High School. Are you looking for information about the Chromebook program? Want to purchase insurance to protect you and your family in the event that your Chromebook is damaged? Have a question for the Tech Team? You've come to the right place!
Check back here for up-to-date information about Chromebook insurance, distribution, repair, and tips and tricks for making the most out of your district-issued device!
Our Chromebooks are durable, and students carry the devices in robust district-issued cases. Of course, we understand that accidents still happen sometimes! In order to protect students and their families, the Wethersfield Public Schools are pleased to offer annual device insurance with a premium of $30 per year. Families must purchase this insurance by September 15 to participate for a given school year.
Please select "Online Credit/Debit" to purchase device insurance for the 2019-2020 school year online (see instructions) OR select "School Cash/Check" to for a paper copy of the enrollment form. If your family is experiencing economic hardship, please contact the WPS Business Office (860-571-8115) to request an insurance fee waiver.
PLEASE NOTE: If a student is not enrolled in the WPS 1-to-1 device insurance program and has not been approved for a waiver of the fee, that student and/or his/her parent(s)/guardian(s) are responsible for the repair costs or full replacement cost of a device lost or damaged beyond ordinary wear. During the 2018-2019 school year, the Wethersfield Schools IT department replaced more than 70 cracked screens due to accidental damage at a cost of $75 each for families who elected not to purchase the optional insurance.
WPS Chromebook Initiative Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will I be able to take my district-issued Chromebook home? Students in grades 7 through 12 will be able to take Chromebooks home during the school year; students will not have access to their Chromebooks during the summer. All devices will be collected at the end of the school year so that maintenance can be performed. Students will then be reissued a Chromebook at the beginning of the next school year.
2. Is there insurance available for my Chromebook? Yes! Parents/guardians of students in grades 7 through 12 are strongly encouraged to purchase the annual 1:1 device insurance with a premium of $30.00 per year. Parents must formally purchase the insurance or decline and assume financial responsibility for any damage before a student can receive a Chromebook. Insurance will be available for purchase until September 15, 2019. Please see the chart (page 2) for details regarding device coverage.
3. How do I purchase insurance for my Chromebook? We offer two payment options for Chromebook insurance: a) Purchase insurance with a credit card using our online portal (convenience fee applies) OR b) Complete the Chromebook Insurance Enrollment Form (page 3), and submit a check for $30.00 (payable to WPS Escrow) to your school’s main office.
4. What if I cannot afford to pay the annual insurance premium? If a student and/or family is unable to pay the premium due to economic hardship, please contact the WPS Business Office (860-571-8115) to request an insurance fee waiver.
5. What happens if my family does not purchase the insurance for my Chromebook? If a student is not enrolled in the student one-to-one device insurance program and has not been approved for a waiver of the fee, that student and/or his/her parent(s)/guardian(s) are subject to pay the repair costs or full replacement cost of a device lost or damaged beyond ordinary wear.
6. What should I do if I leave my Chromebook at home or my Chromebook is not charged? Students are responsible for bringing their fully charged Chromebooks to school each day. If you leave your Chromebook at home, please report to the library media center and request a loaner. Loaner availability is limited, and it is critical that you bring your charged Chromebook to school every day.
7. What should I do if my Chromebook is broken or lost? If your device is broken, please bring it to the library media center to have it checked in for repair. The Library Media Specialist will issue a loaner to use while your device is being repaired. If your device is missing, please report this to your Library Media Specialist as soon as possible.
8. Can the district monitor my online activity when I am using the school-issued Chromebook at home or at school? When you use a district-issued Chromebook at home or at school, your activity (web browsing, use of Google suite for education, etc.) is logged. The Chromebook is owned by the district, and we are mandated to implement reasonable security measures to limit access to inappropriate material and to monitor inappropriate student behavior. Students and staff should have no expectation of privacy when using a district device.
9. Can I use a personal laptop, Chromebook, tablet, other device in classes instead of my district-issued Chromebook? No. The Chromebook was selected as an educational tool to support our district’s instructional goals and has been configured with the appropriate security settings for our school network. Per Board of Education policy 5870, students may not use a personal device in place of a district-issued Chromebook during instructional time except as specifically permitted by instructional staff. In order to ensure a safe learning experience for all students and maintain the integrity of our network and filtering systems, all 7-12 students are expected to use their assigned Chromebooks during instructional time.
10. What if I do not have internet access at home? There are several options available including reduced monthly access fees for low-income families through various service providers. We can also provide instructions for students on how to work offline using the Chromebook. Our goal is to provide equal access to technology for all WPS students. Contact us at email@example.com if you would like to discuss options for accessing your Chromebook at home.